Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Teaching Doctrine by the Spirit Meets Needs

One of my favorite shifts has become the last Saturday evening, the one where we squeeze nearly every activity into 3 hours?! Ya, that one.

I love the objective of the Lessons in Chapter 3, that is to help the missionaries understand the message and that teaching doctrine meets needs. I feel that this objective can meet every one of Brian Kholer's purposes of the MTC. 1) The Missionary experiences conversion, 2) Understands His/Her Message, and 3) Understands His/Her purpose. Doctrine understood changes behavior. That is what missionary work is all about: changing behavior.

I have experimented with how to do this shift without making myself or the missionaries feel overwhelmed or burdened by so many activities. Truthfully, I don't see them as many activities anymore; they are one with one objective: To summarize a missionary's experience and all they have learned that Doctrine understood can change their behavior and that of their investigator.

I have taught it more than once. Each time the order of activities has been different. Each time there is a different emphasis struck unintentionally. Each time the missionaries and I have left with a better understanding of the Doctrine, more fully converted, and with a better understanding of how to fulfill the missionary purpose (which can still be ours!).

I know that if you ponder over your missionaries and seek to meet their needs, the many activities will become one with one objective. You and your missionaries will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment